Sunday, October 30, 2011

BP3_popplet


The web 2.0 tool I chose to use was called Popplet.  My students over the years have always been afraid of concept maps for some reason and some of the don't realize what a valuable tool they can be especially for those that learn spatially.  I wish in the elementary and middle schools teachers would help students to identify the types of learner they are, but that is a whole different topic.  I started putting my uint one notes in Popplet as my example of a way in which students could organize their notes.  It is really easy to use and really nice that they can then support the notes with pictures and even video.  I think that is how I will use this, first assigning them to put their notes in the form of a Popplet and then giving them prompts as to what they need to add to support key topics in the notes.  I have four sections of biology and I immediately thought of having one class do unit one, one class do unit two, etc. and then at the end of the semester I could post one of the better made Popplets for each unit on our class website as a great tool for reviewing for semester final exams.


Fast-forward less than a week since I discovered Popplet:  I asked a couple of my students who said they did not have much homework this weekend to take their unit two notes and turn them into a Popplet and the results are  above.  This student just took the four macromolecules; carbohydrates, proteins, lipids, and nucleic acids and reinforced each with various pictures.  They did not cover all the notes, but focused in on a very important topic.  It was easily shared with me via email including the link and the student said it took them about twenty minutes total (including the learning curve of using the new tool). I think this example proves how easily Popplet could be used in the classroom and how valuable it could prove to be for various tasks.

Note:  I have already introduced my students to Prezi and they have been using it in my class already, but what I find great is that they are using it in other classes and their teachers love it.

1 comment:

  1. Tom,
    I love Prezi and Popplet too! My students are so hooked on these tools that they choose to use them when I now give them choice for what they want to produce. They have also used them in other classes. There go the ripples we are creating. Great work!!

    ReplyDelete